Dressing Up An Old Classic – Polenta Chips
This recipe for polenta chips is a guaranteed crowd pleaser – and certainly won’t break the bank. It is the perfect side dish for plenty of meals (and so good it can be eaten as a meal itself!)
- 1L chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups polenta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese – grated
- 1 tbs cracked black pepper
- 1 heaped tbs butter
- 20mL extra virgin olive oil
- Heat chicken stock to a simmer
- Add polenta – stir until thickened and no longer grainy
- Add pepper, olive oil, butter and parmesan – mix until parmesan has melted
- Pour into a pre-greased rectangular dish and refrigerate until set (approx. 2hrs)
- Once set, cut into desired chip size and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (fan-forced)
- Reduce heat to 180°C (fan-forced) and place chips in oven
- Cook chips on each side until golden and crunchy – cooking time may vary between 30-45mins
- Season chips well (we recommend rosemary salt) and serve!
This recipe can also be used as a wet polenta base if you add 100mL water when cooking.
Recipe and photos by Michael Salmon.