How to Create the Perfect Easter Cake
Want to impress your family and friends this Easter? How about you give this delicious Brownie and Meringue Easter Nest Cake a crack!
This cake is much easier to make than it looks, but it will have everyone thinking you’ve been slaving away in the kitchen for days! We made this cake when our parents visited for dinner the other night and after a lot of gasping, we had out our somewhat technologically challenged parents scrambling to take photos.
- 150g unsalted butter
- 1 ¼ cups caster sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup plain flour
- Optional: 1 tbs instant coffee
- ½ store bought pavlova
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 110g dark chocolate
- 25g butter
- 20g vermicelli noodles
- 60g dark chocolate
- 1 packet Cadbury Mini Eggs
For the brownie
- Preheat oven to 150°C (fan-forced).
- Grease and line 2 x 18cm round cake pans.
- Place the butter, sugar and cocoa in a saucepan – heat until melted and combined.
- Pour the above mixture into a bowl.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla essence, whisking well.
- Add granulated coffee if desired.
- Sift flour into the bowl and combine.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from over and set aside to cool.
For the Nest
- Break up the vermicelli noodles into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave then pour over the noodles.
- Mix well to ensure all noodles are coated.
- Place the coated noodles in a small bowl lined with cling wrap.
- Place a smaller bowl on top of the noodles and place in the fridge to set.
For the Meringue Filling
- Place cream in a bowl and whip with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar and continue whipping until soft peaks form again.
- Break off small meringue pieces from the pavlova and gently stir into the cream.
- Combine chopped chocolate and butter in a bowl over boiling water.
- Heat and stir until combined and glossy – being careful not to burn or separate.
- Sandwich the meringue filling between the two cakes.
- Pour ganache over cake and spread evenly over top.
- Remove the nest from the fridge and carefully take it out of the mould.
- Place nest on top of cake and fill with Mini Eggs.
Voila! Enjoy your masterpiece!
Written by Michaela Ward