The Secret’s Out – Big Macs at Home
Only a few months ago, Coles had the nation thinking that precious Big Mac Sauce, along with a range of other McDonald’s special sauces would be available to purchase from their shelves, in bottle form. Like a lot of content on the internet – it was a complete stitch up.
McDonald’s do occasionally release limited runs of their special Big Mac Sauce for a few select customers. It is also available on eBay for a small fortune. We, however, think we have cracked the code for the perfect homemade Big Mac Sauce – and you won’t need to sell an arm and a leg to get your hands on it!
Canadians are currently enjoying a utopia-like society where Big Mac Sauce, amongst other special McDonald’s sauce varieties, can be freely plucked from supermarket shelves – but until we can enjoy that luxury here in Australia, I recommend you whip up your own batch of our homemade Big Mac Sauce.
Best served on one of our delicious homemade burgers – see the full recipe below.
- ½ cup whole egg mayonnaise (we love Kewpie mayonnaise)
- 1 heaped tbs gherkin relish
- 2 tsp white vinegar (we recommend using brine from dill pickles)
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1½ heaped tsp mild American mustard
- 1 heaped tsp garlic powder
- 1 heaped tsp onion powder
- 1 level tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch salt
To make – mix all ingredients in a bowl (simple!)
- 500g good quality butchers beef mince
- 1 level tsp salt
- 1 generous pinch white pepper
To make – combine and form patties (depending on preferred size makes 3-4 patties). Pre-heat pan, skillet or grill until hot/smoking. Cook for 2½-3mins per side for perfectly cooked patties!
Shopping List – Burgers
- Sesame-topped brioche buns (warmed/toasted prior to assembling)
- 1 white onion – diced
- Iceberg lettuce – finely shredded
- American red cheddar cheese slices (1 per burger)
- Dill pickles – sliced in to rounds
- Spread some homemade Big Mac Sauce over the base of the brioche bun.
- Top with some diced onion, shredded lettuce and a slice of cheese.
- Add the beef patty, and top with some sliced dill pickles.
- Top with the middle layer brioche bun, and spread some more homemade Big Mac Sauce.
- Add some more onion, lettuce, pickles and a beef patty – before – you guessed it – drizzling some more homemade Big Mac Sauce.
- Top with the burger lid and serve.
We’ve assembled these as close as we could get to the real deal!
Recipe and photos by Michael Salmon